Friday, September 5, 2008

Where the Story Begins

The story begins in May of 1976 with the birth of my first son. I had been married just shy of a year when my full time job became that of mother and homemaker. In April of 1978 I became the mother of my first daughter. After taking nearly a six year break my second daughter was born in October of 1983. I was now the mother of three and had settled into the role of a stay at home mom very well. My two older children were in school and I had full days of one on one time with my new little one which was an absolute joy. In 1989, after my third child had started school my fourth child was born. Once again, I found myself with the opportunity of full days of one on one time with my now nearly 19 year old daughter.

Those years have passed quickly and they were indeed filled with many great memory building experiences and traditions. I have to admit I was the homeroom mom who organized and implemented some pretty grand ideas for class parties, crafts, and activities. Our family vacations were also filled with traveling traditions and activities along the way. Summer breaks were filled with well planned activities and outings. And the holidays .... not to worry, I had those very well covered too!

Three of my adult children have married and they and their spouses have created the next chapter of  this story. I'm a Grandma! I have 6 grandsons and 3 granddaughters raging from six months to eight years old. 

In addition to being a stay at home mom for 32 years I have been very active in volunteer event planning. I love to create, plan, organize, and implement events both big and small. I am very detail oriented and I love to add all of the fluff  I can to create great times and wonderful memories. My family has always been very supportive in the events and traditions I have created as a creative outlet for myself.

Many  friends have told me for years that I need to write a book on family traditions and family event planning. I never did and now they tell me I need to write a book on being a creative grandma!

Grandma's Modern Day Trunks of Treasures are actually well organized rubbermaid tubs in my oversized three car garage. The tubs are filled with resources that help to enrich events and the traditions of our family. Thankfully, the next generation of family is being just as supportive of their event planning grandma as the generation before them.

I will be sharing the ideas and contents of my trunks along with lot's of other ideas and suggestions for making great memories for families with special attention to creating bonds between grandkids and their grandma!








No comments: