Monday, April 6, 2009

A Treasured Cookie Jar


This cookie jar goes as far back as I can remember as a child. The original metal lid was painted yellow somewhere along the line. As you can see it has been well used even since the lid was painted many years ago. My mother was great at keeping fresh baked goodies for our family in the kitchen. She was a great cook and she made the best chocolate chip, peanut butter, and molasses oatmeal raisin cookies ever!

My mother never made a small batch of cookies. She would always double or triple the recipe so that everyone could have all they wanted. I loved coming home from school to the freshly baked cookies and cold glasses of milk.

The days of my 85 year old mother baking cookies for us has come to an end. It is something that generations of children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren miss dearly. Baking cookies and other favorite family treats was a way that my mother expressed her love for our family.

While clearing my parents home of unneeded items recently I was lucky enough to get my mother's cookie jar to use in my own home. Today I took the time to carefully wash and shine it just like I would have done with any other valuable treasure.

Today I filled the cookie jar with my own batch of homemade cookies. It was a very sweet experience and one that I look forward to doing again for many years. It is and it will always be like having a piece of my mother in my kitchen with me. The cookie jar itself, and the sound of the lid being taken off and put back on triggered some wonderful memories. I thought of how much my mother loves our family and how much we love her. I wondered just how many hours of service she rendered to our family over 65 years by just filling this cookie jar for her family with batches and batches of cookies.

I am as happy as I can be to have my mother's cookie jar. There will NEVER be a time when I will bake cookies and fill the cookie jar for those that I love and not think of my mother, her love for me, my love for her, and her priceless example of mother and grandmother!

No comments: