Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Baby Killdeer Birds Hatched


Look who's arrived! Three healthy, baby Killdeer birds hatched on March 30, 2009. It was a very windy day yesterday morning when I went out to check on the eggs. To my surprise all three eggs had hatched. There was almost a whole eggshell laying next to them. The last one must have just hatched because the eggshell was still there and the one laying closest to the shell was still wet. I ran for my camera and when I returned the eggshell had blown away.

They all left the nesting area yesterday to run around a bit. The parents kept a very watchful eye on them and their surroundings to keep them safe. They all returned to their spot in the rocks for naps frequently during the day with one of the parents spreading their wings over them to keep them safe.

Today when I went out to check on them they were all away from their nesting place. One of the parents was there to direct me away from the nesting place by using his/her broken wing act. I could not hear or see the other parent or the babies anywhere but I am sure they are nearby.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, thank you for sharing your story! I ran out today, Mother's Day to see my little eggs and everyone was gone! I'm so happy to hear that they may come back to nap. I just want a chance to see the babies. They are so sweet aren't they?

Grandma Shelley said...

The parents or another couple have come back and nested very close to our first nesting spot. This time there are four eggs and we know when they were laid so we'll be watching closely when it is time to hatch.

They are adorable indeed!